If you have unsightly silver fillings that you wish to replace, ensure they are removed in a safe way at our dental practice located in Brandon, Florida!
Whilst amalgam fillings have been used for over a hundred years, many patients have experienced negative side effects associated with this filling material, which has led to the development of a modern alternative. Some of the most common concerns associated with amalgam fillings include:
• Amalgam fillings are made form a composite metallic material, with one of its key components being mercury. This type of material can be concerning to some patients, as fillings can contain as much as 50% mercury – which can be released into the system due to temperature changes within the mouth or during chewing and brushing.
• This type of filling material is dark silver in color, and as such does not blend successfully with the shade and texture of your natural tooth enamel.
• Amalgam fillings are simply packed into the void caused by tooth loss, and as such they do not form a complete seal against the bacteria responsible for tooth decay. This means that some patients can still experience tooth decay underneath the filled tooth.
• This type of filling material also presents concerns as it has been shown to expand and contract in response to temperature changes within the mouth, which can cause your natural tooth to crack. In instances where the tooth has cracked all the way below the gum line, the tooth will typically have to be extracted.
Additionally, amalgam fillings have been found to be hazardous for the environment, and environmentally conscious countries such as Sweden and Norway have gone so far as to ban this type of filling material.
Experience mercury-free dentistry and safe amalgam removal at Larry Saylor D.M.D
At our dental practice located in Brandon, Florida our team of dental professionals are committed to removing mercury fillings in a way that is safe for both our patient’s health and that of the environment.
When drilling into amalgam during traditional removal procedures, amalgam begins to heat and release mercury vapor – of which 80% is absorbed into the body if inhaled. In response to this, Dr Saylor has developed a system to reduce a patient’s exposure to mercury vapor during removal procedures. His approach includes:
• An Isolite suction barrier is implmented to prevent amalgam particles from being swallowed by the patient. Safety glasses and an oxygen mask are also provided during this procedure.
• An oral aerosol vacuum is also implemented to help prevent the inhalation of mercury vapors.
• Water is consistently used during these procedures to minimize vapors and friction heat.
• Our team of dental professionals wear magnifying glasses to ensure that they can see every last speck of amalgam.
• The air is also purified by a Horton Vacuum to reduce aerosols and mercury vapors in the air.
Once all of the mercury has been removed, Dr. Larry Saylor can used tooth colored filling material to restore the form, function and appearance of your smile. This filling material is 100% free from mercury and can be color matched to the exact shade and texture of your natural tooth enamel.
To find out more about our mercury removal procedures, or to arrange an appointment at our dental practice located in Brandon, Florida, please contact us.