Whether you’re new to the area, your previous dentist retired, or any other reason, finding a new dentist can be daunting. Not only do you have to sift through patient reviews online, you also need to peruse dentist practice websites to make sure anyone you choose is a good fit for your needs. It’s a lot to think about, but we’ve broken the process down below to make it a little bit easier. Here’s how to find the best dentist nearby.
Word-of-mouth recommendations are still the most powerful advertising we have as dentists. Ask your friends, family, and neighbors about their dentists. Are they happy with them? What procedures have they had done? Is there a long wait for appointments? You can narrow down the field of potential candidates by asking around and compiling a list of dentists to research further.
Read Patient Reviews
Online reviews from patients are one of the best ways to find a dentist nearby. If you’re looking for the best cosmetic dentist in your area, check reviews from other patients who’ve gotten the same treatments you’re considering. Need a Same-Day Crown?? Search reviews for each dentist for the term “crowns” to learn about other patients’ experiences.
Some dental practices allow you to watch video testimonials from patients right on their websites. This is especially useful, as it not only helps you see what other patients have to say about their treatments, but it also lets you see the results of the work they received.
Check Out the Dentist’s Website
You’ve gotten recommendations from friends, then you’ve checked these recommendations against online patient reviews. The next step is to go to a dental practice’s website and make sure they’re a good fit for your needs. Some things to look for when looking for the best dentist include:
- Before and After Photos – Look at before and after pictures showing dental work performed for previous patients––do you like what you see? Don’t be afraid to call the dentist office to request specific examples of the type of dental work you will be having done.
- Services offered – If you want Invisalign, for example, don’t assume that every cosmetic dentist offers this treatment. Check their list of services to verify before making an appointment. If you anticipate needing or wanting other procedures in the future, make sure all of them are performed by any dentist you choose so you’re not left looking for another new dentist in a few months.
- Experience and Credentials – We’ve all heard dental horror stories from friends and family about procedures that went wrong. Perhaps you’ve even had a bad dentist experience. Finding the best dentist includes finding a dentist who has the proper qualifications, has many years of experience practicing dentistry, and who continues education to stay at the forefront of dental methods and procedures. Learn about each dentist to make sure they are qualified and experienced.
- Practice location and hours – When their dentist office is not nearby, then patients tend to reschedule their dentist appointments when life gets busy. So, you’ll want to make sure your dentist office of choice is convenient to your home or workplace.
However, if you’re getting an extensive dental procedure done such as cosmetic dentistry, distance may not be as important as the cosmetic dentist’s qualifications and experience. In fact, Dr. Saylor has had patients who have flown in from out of state to ensure they get the best experience and achieve the results they want in their smile.
In addition to location, make sure their office hours accommodate your schedule. For example, if you need to see a dentist outside of normal business hours, look for one that opens early so you can schedule a visit before work or school.
- Options for painless dentistry – Patients who have dental anxiety should make sure any dentist they choose offers pain free dentistry. This is especially helpful for those who have been putting off going to the dentist for years, but are experiencing unbearable tooth pain and need to come in for an evaluation and possibly a deep cleaning.
- Payment policies – Learn about payment options before you book your first appointment. If you have dental insurance, see if the practice accepts your plan. If not, no worries—most dental insurance plans will cover at least part of the cost of out-of-network providers. What’s most important is choosing a high quality dentist who meets your needs.
Schedule a Consultation or Appointment with the Dentist
Once you’ve found the best dentist to meet your needs, the next step is to schedule a dentist appointment or consultation. While this step isn’t always necessary, it’s a good idea if you’re considering an extensive procedure. For veneers, crowns, or even Invisalign, you’ll be investing a lot of time and money in your dental treatment, so it’s important not only to be confident in your dentist’s work, but also comfortable with them personally.
When meeting with a prospective dentist, ask them about their qualifications and experience. Dr. Saylor receives continued education each year such as AIE in Alabama, and has been performing cosmetic dentistry procedures for 20+ years (since 2000). He has been a member of the American Dental Association since 1994 and is a fellow of the Academy of General Dentistry.
Make an Appointment with Dr. Larry Saylor
Whether you’re searching for the best dentist in Brandon, FL near Tampa, or a cosmetic dentist with whom you can entrust your smile, Dr. Saylor would be happy to meet with you, personally, and discuss your dental needs. Call 813-689-4226 to schedule a dentist appointment with Dr. Saylor at his dentist office in Brandon, FL.